How to use Interactive Buttons in shared borders
Interactive Buttons and Shared Borders
How To ...
These instructions are mainly for FrontPage - Expression Web does not support the creation of new shared borders, but will support new pages using existing shared borders.
Place the Interactive buttons in the Top Shared Border. The button images are saved in the images/ folder, and pages using the top border saved in folders named pages1 and pages2
- Create folders below the root. All pages using the Top shared border will be located in these first level folders.
- Create the pages for these folders. Format -> Shared Borders and apply the top shared border.
Make sure the Top Shared Border is not applied to the Home Page, nor to any other pages in the root folder. At this stage Interactive Buttons cannot be placed in the shared border.
- Tools -> Site Options -> Advanced Set "Display Hidden Folders and Files". Refresh the web if asked.
- Open top.htm in the _borders folder, and insert Interactive Buttons. Link them to the pages in the first level folders.
- Switch to Design View, then save the page. Ensure the buttons are saved to the images folder (you may have to change the folder in the save dialogue).
- Test the pages. Use Preview in Browser for testing, since Preview may give erroneous results. (See in_root.aspx)
- In case of problems, see Trouble Shooting
Pages built with Include Pages are less prone to this phenomenon. Pages using a DWT are not affected.